Making and tracking open access pledges
- Contributing more to open access outlets than closed outlets gently pushes the system towards open access.
- Provide a model of action that others can easily adopt. As it stands, many sympathizers aren’t sure what they should do.
- Make more people realize how many of us believe in open access.
- Taking a stand helps us as stick to our guns and not get caught up as much in the closed journal game. We need help with this because the incentives in academia favor the closed outlets.
- Making yourself known as an open access supporter helps open access outlets find reviewers and editors.